Getting RedPilled on poverty and responsibiilty of poor people for their condition

Over at the net's favorite repository for life failures, a relatively normal thread broke into an insightful Red Pill -- confrontation with the unpopular truths of reality -- discussion about the nature of poor people and their responsibility for their poverty.

Since moving to a lower-income area (to phrase it politely) and witnessing the general behavior of people there, I have come to believe that a very significant portion of those who are poor and live in shitty conditions have thoroughly earned their place in society.1

I grew up in a family that lived off of social security, since my father died at 35, and my mother was permanently disabled and bedridden. When I turned 15, I got a job, and was breadwinner for our house, paying our mortgage with my Arby's paycheck. When all my friends were out playing and having fun, I spent my time reading computer manuals. Now I do quite well, making more cash than any of my friends, living in a decently sized house on some acreage away from where I grew up. I'm happily married, and going strong.
My wife works as a counselor in a school that is 100% free/reduced lunch, and where white kids are actually the minority behind black and hispanic kids, which is usually an indicator for most studies that the area is poor. The schools in the area are considered some of the worst in the state for a variety of reasons. Yet there are still some students that see the situation they're in, and want out. They try really hard, and make something of their life, instead of selling drugs and getting pregnant in highschool.
While some of it can be attributed to "poor family, which lives in a poor area, means you receive poor education, poor options", there are a good number of kids that undeniably fight those factors and actually make something of themselves. So obviously, it's not entirely pre-determined by your wealth, as plenty of these kids get out, including myself.2

No, because people regularly getting out of being poor demonstrates the problem lies within people.
I grew up with shit people. They're still shit. I'm not. Not even complicated.
Don't do drugs. Don't do crimes. Go to school. The end.3

I always hear this excuse yet I grew up in a poor UK area with very little and no one ended up doing any of these things. Now the area is over run with immigrants and though it's much better off financially it's an absolute shit hole.
You can also go back and see the poor areas in the 30', 40's and 50's and poor people would clean their own streets, scrub their steps and act with class these are people who had nothing many couldn't read or write but had manners and decency.4

It's a little bit bad luck, and quite a bit about the quality of the decisions you make. Sauce, born quite poor, very much not poor now, but still friends with my former peers. 5

The old saying I heard (growing up rather poor) was "poor people have poor ways". Yes, I know you can't pay rent, but renting (yes, that's a thing) shiny wheels for your car, buying two packs of cigarettes a day, and prioritizing entertainment over quality food...Those things are all really helping your situation...6

The idea of accountability to results is central to conservatism; as a result, it also applies to the individual. Do what you must do to create the best outcome, and then uphold ("conserve") that method, whether as an individual or as a group. It's not rocket science but 99% of humanity will fight recognition of it tooth and nail every time, which is why this ray of Red Pill shining through the clouds is so gratifying.

Comments

Popular Posts